Saturday, January 8, 2011

Big Changes

So, if I had stuck to the original plan I would be leaving Istanbul tomorrow. It's comforting to know that I'm definitely not ready to go back. I've traveled so much throughout out my entire life, but my interactions with foreign countries have always been relatively superficial specifically because of the shortness of the stay. I keep feeling like this is really my opportunity to engage with a country in a much more profound way.

I'm staying on, along with Ivy, Caitlin, Emily, Susannah, Tim, Sydney, Tyler, and Juliayn (I hope I didn't miss anyone on that list :P). But... everyone else is leaving. Or has left. Or will leave in the upcoming few days. The past week has been really rough. Last night Kathryn, one of my closest friends here, left. I have a really hard with this kind of thing. It's especially hard in this context because we all live all over the US and who knows when and how we'll all be able to see each other again. Plus, one thing I really tend to miss isn't just individuals but group dynamics. So even if I get to see a couple of my friends again it, of course, won't be the same and that's something I'm really sad about. I really feel like we had exceptional group dynamics this semester.

I don't think anyone from the program follows this blog, but I still want to wish happy travels to everyone who's going home! I will miss all of you.

1 comment: